Software & Technology
Follow the trail
Find the right VolResource page via the descriptions given here.
Links to VolResource pages covering:
- Specialist software: membership management, (charity) accounting.
- Technology help.
- Web services, advice.
More details on the Section Index pages (as per menu on the left) are below.
- Software Developments page covers technologies like open source and ASP, database and information system developer, plus Miscellaneous Specialist Software.
- Software Selection page was written from an accountancy perspective, but can be used more widely with a little bit of thought. Basic guidance on how to get started if you are seriously looking for new software systems.
Membership Management, Accounting
Two specialist software areas common to many voluntary organisations - we have fairly comprehensive information:
- Membership Management Software introduction.
- Membership system suppliers.
- Accounting Software introduction.
- Accounting software issues.
- Accounting software packages - low end, high end.
- 'Tech Tips' - information resources for the sector, common issues, language technology;
- Voluntary Sector use of the internet - research, development projects.
- Information Society The political dimension, Access for All, initiatives.
- Campaigning using the internet.
- IT system and support suppliers are covered on Computer Services page, along with IT training and IT for fundraising.
- Suppliers page for special charity deals on 'standard office software'.
- Helpful Books on IT, the Internet.
- Sector support bodies with ICT remit.
- Web Tips: Getting started on the web, setting up web pages.
- Web In Practice Sample sites from the sector - effective or interesting examples, charity shopping malls etc.
- Internet Glossary of key terminology; an explanation of Connection Speed/ADSL.
- Making Effective use of the Web - some speaker notes from a workshop.
- Online Communication Strategies - key questions.
- Making Websites Accessible An area of particular interest to the sector, but which should be taken more seriously by many.
- Web-based facilities - databases, contact communications, client management, project working ....
- Web Services for web site designers, hosting, service providers.
- News and Events.
- Information Sources Support bodies, magazines, local and regional.
- Management, Admin and Finance including Tax, Legal, Governance, Registration.
- People Matter Employment, payroll, training, volunteer and people management.
- Services - suppliers and service providers who have voluntary sector leanings.
- Taking Action Lobbying, media, research, for the organisation and personally.
- Areas of Concern Links to organisations active on various issues.
- Reviews - Books etc.
- Resource round-ups for particular job functions.
- Sample documents and checklists.
- Work Opportunities. Paid and volunteer vacancies, specialist agencies, web sites.