Follow the trail
Access key 3 (about access keys).
Find the right VolResource page via the descriptions given here.
Site Maps are standard features of many sites. This one is largely compiled from Section Index pages, which can be reached via the left-hand 'Site Menu'. The Section Index pages may have more description and additional pointers, plus some pages may be relevant to more than one and so will repeat (they generally don't below).
The Contents Table is intended to be a quick way to navigate around the site. It is particularly for those more familiar with the voluntary and community sector or VolResource.
Note: while most of these links are to lower down this page, some take you to separate pages.
Current News and Events at Voluntarynews.org.uk,
About VolResource Accessibility, copyright, contacting us.
Across category: pages which can fit under more than one heading.
Areas of Concern Links to organisations active on various issues.
Finance and Legal including Tax, Registration.
Information Sources Support bodies, magazines, local and regional sector contacts, data issues.
Management and Admin including Governance, Planning.
People Matters Training, employment law, people management.
Reviews of books and other publications.
Services - suppliers and service providers particularly relevant to the voluntary sector.
Software and Technology Membership, finance and other specialist software, web and techtips.
Taking Action Lobbying, media, research, for the organisation and personally.
WorkScene See separate index of practical case studies - mainly on software implementation.
Work Opportunities Paid jobs and volunteering.
- Policies and Procedures checklist.
- Sector Glossary What the jargon and abbreviations mean.
- Sample documents and checklists are listed under appropriate headings below, or see the separate index.
- Buy Books Direct We try to bring together most books and manuals into one section, rather than repeat info across various pages.
- The national (infrastructure) sector bodies, managerial support, hubs of expertise.
- Voluntary sector suppport bodies for functions or activities (e.g. finance, community transport).
- Issue-focused support bodies (e.g. advice, youth). Also see Areas of Concern section.
- Some general professional bodies of interest without known charity / vol org contacts.
- Sector policy and development includes sector research. Relations with government agencies dealing with the sector are under Working Relations.
- Local or regional voluntary organisations and community IT resources.
- European and Irish contacts.
- Printed Magazines, general or for specific areas.
- Publishers of books, CD-ROMs etc for the voluntary sector.
- Buy Books Direct. Titles on management, finance, people matters, IT, communication etc. direct from sector publishers or readily available on Amazon.
- General information web sites and directories for the voluntary sector.
- Funding and Grants Funding bodies with useful web sites/online applications, plus Funding Strategies.
- Awards Recognition and prizes for organisational or individual achievement.
- Research Resources gives sources of in-depth analyses.
Professional Network, Support Bodies
Other Information Areas
Information as an Issue
- General Admin Communications, Buildings, Resources.
- Health and Safety.
- Organisation Management Structure, leadership, stakeholders.
- Planning and Evaluation Quality standards, making best use of all your resources.
- Working relations Partnership or joint working, mergers, government Compacts, contracts, stakeholders...
- Governance How responsibility works, checklist for management committee (Board) members.
- Starting Up Checklist for a new organisation.
- Legal Matters General reference, misc.
- Insurance, risk management.
- Register as a charity or limited company Complying with charity law, why you should limit liability.
- Tax Matters VAT, PAYE, etc - important if not very exciting.
- Charity Tax Reclaims What to do.
- Scrutiny of accounts for smaller charities A different approach to full audit.
- Finance Resources Advice online,
- Financial Procedures Sample document.
- The Business - useful info from the commercial sector.
- Employing staff Terms and conditions, unions.
- Employment regulations.
- Pay and expenses Payroll issues including tax, pensions.
- Pension providers.
- Recruitment agencies.
- Managing People - Teams, Training,
Development, Supervision, Job design, Learning Organisations etc.
- People Management Resources including Equal Opportunities.
- Self Management Some thoughts on this tricky subject. Stress, managing your manager.
- Time Management In association with Open University Business School.
- Sample documents - Person Specification, Appraisal Form, Induction checklist.
- Policies and Procedures checklist.
- Volunteering Finding and managing volunteers - contacts and some issues.
- Volunteer opportunities and agencies.
- Trustees, members Trustee training, advice and recruitment.
Volunteers, Members, Trustees
Training and Events
- Getting Your Message Across /Dealing
with the Media
- briefing on communicating, making contacts.
- listings of press guides, agencies, PR, alternative news.
- Marketing A few tips.
- Lobbying Contact web sites for government (local, national, regional, european), political parties.
- Web in Practice Examples of voluntary organisations using the internet to raise funds or engage with the public or target audience.
- Running an Event Where to start, practicalities and regulations.
- Event Services: Organisers and Venues.
- Campaigning resources.
- A viewpoint on campaigning.
- Regulators, Complaints, Audit bodies overseeing Government, Not-for-profit, Utilities, Industry, Media.
- Planning and Evaluation Do you know whether you are working on the right issues, effectively?
- Starting Up - a checklist. Perhaps you need to set up a new organisation to really make a difference.
- Environmental and Social Impact Taking action to address your organisation's wider responsibilities.
- Ethical Investment The issues and contacts.
- Taking Action Personally - Be an active citizen, use resources wisely, global concerns.
Making an Impact
- Miscellaneous: Direct Action/Activism, Democracy/Media, Civil Society.
- Aid and Development resources: training, codes of conduct.
- Communities and Social Groupings such as Elderly, Refugees, Rural.
- Community group resources includes community profiling, support bodies.
- Economy, Environment, Development including Corporate Responsibility.
- Housing, Regeneration, Urban.
- Leisure, Culture, Education, Animals including Arts and Heritage.
- Social Economy including community business, co-ops.
- Welfare, Rights, Health including Social Inclusion, Employment.
- Self-help groups / mutual support networks for individuals.
- Taking Action Personally. Some starting points.
- Software developments, finding relevant advice, miscellaneous specialist software, software developers.
- Software Selection (originally written from an accountancy perspective).
- Membership Management Software introduction.
- Membership system suppliers
- Accounting Software introduction
- Tech Tips: Info sources for the sector, specific issues, language issues.
- Web Tips: Getting started on the web, setting up websites.
- Web facilities Databases, project working, client management.
- Making web sites accessible.
- Internet Terminology; speaker notes on Making Effective use of the Web; explanation of Connection Speed/ADSL.
- Online Communications Strategy.
- Accountancy/audit including payroll and bookkeeping.
- Banking and investment.
- Charity Tax Reclaim services.
- Pension facilities.
- Legal Community or voluntary resourcse as well as commercial firms.
- Regulatory Offices Utilities, Government, Media (Data Protection is under Information Management).
- Fundraising on the Net - information,
consultancy, online fundraising services.
- Online donation and payment facilities.
- Computer/IT Includes training, IT for Fundraising.
- Web facilities hosting, internet access, design, technical development.
- Design and Print Including publishing and translation services.
- Media Video, film, broadcast, photography, theatre; media support, PR agencies etc.
- Events & Conference organisers, Venues.
- Membership admin, Mailing Lists, Response handling For mailing shots, campaigns as well as day to day.
- Consultants, Management, General, Fundraising; Business Links.
- Suppliers - office, equipment, materials, general suppliers. Includes 'standard software', computer hardware.
- Introduction covers other job listing web sites.
- Vacancy listings. Grouped by Closing Date (may change).
- Job pages from voluntary organisations.
- Volunteering opportunities. Agencies, advice, web sites; our listings.
- Recruitment Agencies specialising in the voluntary sector.
- How to advertise your vacancy on VolResource.
- Working in the voluntary sector. Some thoughts, particularly in relation to getting a job.
- Introduction to the site, navigation tips, accessibility.
- Searching the site, tackling link problems.
- Credits, copyright, contact.
- Response form.
- Advertising on the the site or newsletter.
- Making payments or donations.
- Email Newsletter.
- Printable poster If you want to circulate info about VR.