VolResource Consultancy Services
Can we help you further? While this web site can provide a range of information and links to more, it is produced as a general resource. We can also provide a more focused service, applying our experience and skills directly to your needs.
The person behind VolResource, John Howes, is available to provide consultancy or interim management services on
- finance, IT and office systems,
- web site development,
- problem identification and solving,
- change management,
- governance and legal issues for smaller organisations.
We may also be able to provide assistance on other subjects covered by the VolResource web site.
Particular expertise in the areas above has been gained through a range of small to medium sized voluntary organisations (registered charities, housing associations, development agencies, campaign and community groups etc.). In around 30 years in the field, jobs have covered most aspects of running an organisation. Start-ups, growth pains and other times of change a speciality!
Some relevant experience
- Finance and Admin Director for a conservation charity, and before that Finance Manager at Directory of Social Change and a substantial residential care charity in south London. The usual responsibilities of regular management accounts production, draft statutory accounts, managing payroll and bookkeeping functions. Review of banking, investment, audit, VAT and insurance arrangements. Good knowledge of Sage, Sun, QuickBooks and other packages. While at DSC, ran Accountancy Software Challenge and helped set up the Sage Charity User Group. Personnel issues, including volunteer management; premises management.
- These posts included full IT responsibilities - software and hardware selection, set-up and development for office systems, accountancy, sales and contact management etc. Having studied computer science back in the 70s, recent practical experience includes PC and Apple Mac networks plus various server and internet arrangements.
- Developed the VolResource web site from scratch. Structure, design and technical aspects as well as content. Usability review of other web sites is part of the process. Accessibility and use of web standards is a key concern.
- Working with community groups in Lambeth and Southwark community groups, in voluntary and paid capacities. Freelance troubleshooting bookkeeper, computer tuition for refugee groups, community publishing.
While much has been self-taught, the practice based Open University Business School Professional Diploma in Management has added to knowledge and abilities.
John is known for his practical and direct approach to identifying system problems, and developing solutions which reduce complexity while looking to possible future requirements.
Based in Malvern, Worcs (good train connections towards Birmingham, Oxford, Hereford). A lot can be done over the internet, too! Can travel further afield for an appropriate job. Reasonable rates.
See the response form for ways of getting in touch.